Can’t decide whether to serve chocolate cake or flan for dessert? Have your cake and eat your flan, too, with a recipe that combines two distinctive flavors in one crowd-pleasing recipe.
- 1/4 cup Smuckers™ caramel topping (from 12.25-oz jar)
- 1 box Super Moist™ triple chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 12-cup fluted tube cake pan with cooking spray. Pour and spread caramel topping in bottom of pan.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil and 3 eggs with electric mixer on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour batter over caramel topping in pan.
- In blender, place Flan ingredients. Cover; blend on high speed about 20 seconds or until smooth. Slowly pour mixture evenly over batter. (Flan mixture will mix with batter, but they will separate during baking, forming 1 layer of cake and 1 layer of flan.) Spray piece of foil with cooking spray, and place sprayed side down over top of pan; cover tightly.
- Place cake pan in large roasting pan; add 1 inch of hot water to roasting pan.
- Bake 1 hour 20 minutes to ensure cake AND flan layer bake completely (toothpick inserted in center of cake will come out clean). Remove cake pan from water bath to cooling rack; remove foil. Cool at room temperature 1 hour. Refrigerate in pan, uncovered, 2 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator; run thin metal spatula around outer and inside edges of pan to loosen cake. Place serving plate upside down on cake pan; turn plate and pan over. Remove pan. Spoon any remaining caramel from pan over top of cake. Store loosely covered in refrigerator.