This spiced carrot cake is filled with the perfect amount of autumn spices. It has a moist crumb with no dryness in the slightest. Top it off with some toasted walnuts for a great contrasting crunch.
- 1 large egg
- 75 g (5 tbsp) brown sugar
- 27 g (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 30 g (2 tbsp) unsalted butter melted
- 100 g (1 medium size) carrot grated small
- 80 g (½ cup + 2 tbsp) all purpose flour
- ⅛ tsp table salt
- 0.25 g (⅛ tsp) ground nutmeg
- 0.5 g (¼ tsp) ground ginger
- 1 g (½ tsp) ground cinnamon
- 2 g (½ tsp) baking powder
- 1 g (¼ tsp) baking soda
- 30 g (¼ cup) toasted walnuts as inserts chopped
- 30 g (¼ cup) toasted walnuts as topping chopped
Whisk the egg and sugar together until smooth.
Add oil, melted butter, and grated carrot. Mix well.
Sieve in the flour, ground spices, baking powder, and baking soda. Add salt and mix until almost combined.
Add 30 grams of chopped toasted walnuts. Mix just until the flour is no longer visible.
Line parchment paper into a 2.75″ x 6.5″ x 2.25″ (7 x 16.5 x 6 cm) deep pan or simply grease the pan. *for a larger loaf pan, see note
Transfer the cake batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly. Add 30 grams of chopped toasted walnuts on top.
Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (180°C) for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Once baked, remove the cake from its pan. Let cool completely on a wire rack.