This orange sponge cake is fluffy, delicious, moist and light. The delicate orange flavor is subtle and not at all overpowering.
If you are looking for a simple, quick treat that tastes heavenly every single time, then this is your go-to recipe. This citrusy and fluffy cake is perfect for tea time, breakfast or as a simple dessert to bring with you for potlucks and picnics.
- 1 1/3 cups cake flour
- 6 large eggs, yolks and egg-whites separated
- 1 ½ cups sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons grated orange zest
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¾ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Place the egg whites in a large bowl and allow to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift the flour, 1/3 cup sugar and salt together twice and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks on high speed for 5 minutes until thick and lemon-colored.
- Gradually beat in 2/3 cup sugar into the yolks, then add orange juice and zest and beat 3 minutes longer. Then gradually add in the flour mixture and mix well.
- Add cream of tartar to the egg whites and beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Then using a spatula, fold into batter.
- Gently spoon into a prepared 10-in. tube pan and bake on the lowest oven rack for 45-55 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched. Then immediately invert pan and cool completely, for about an hour before transferring to a serving plate.
- Serve and enjoy.