This easy vanilla teacake recipe makes a perfectly moist and flavorful sponge every time
- 1½ cups All-Purpose flour
- 1 cup Curd (Plain Yogurt)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (356 degrees F) for 10 minutes.
- Take either two 6-inches (round or square) baking pans or one 8-inch baking pan and grease the entire surface of the pan with oil or melted butter using a brush.
- Sprinkle some flour over it and tilt the pan in all directions so the maida covers the greased surface. Line the pan with a parchment paper
- Sift 1½ cups all-purpose flour in a large bowl then add one cup plain curd and 3/4 cup sugar in another large bowl.
- Mix well using a wired whisk until smooth. Add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon baking powder.
- Mix well and keep the mixture idle for 5 minutes. As the baking soda starts to react with the curd, bubbles will start to appear on the surface.
- Add 1/2 cup oil. Use any cooking oil that doesn’t have a strong smell, e.g sunflower oil, light olive oil.
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla essence and mix well.
- Add previously sifted flour and mix well using a wired whisk or a spatula, mix until it turns a little smooth and no visible signs of white flour.
- Pour batter into previously greased pan and place it in the preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes at 180 C (356 F) until the top looks brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven and insert a toothpick in the center to check whether it is fully cooked or not. If it comes out clean, then it means it is cooked. If it does not, then cook for a few more minutes.
- If the cake turns brown from the top but remains uncooked from the inside, cover the pan with aluminum foil to prevent the cake from turning brown further and bake again for 5-10 minutes.
- Let it cool for 15-20 minutes then run a knife on the sides of the pan and place a cooling rack on the pan and invert both pan and rack to remove the cake from the pan easily.
- Serve it as is with coffee or garnish with chocolate syrup or vanilla frosting and enjoy.