The perfect accompaniment to an afternoon cup of tea on an autumn’s day.
- 50g butter
- 275g golden caster sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 225g natural yoghurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice and the zest of 3 lemons
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder, sieved
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 125g icing sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
- a handful pistachio nuts, finely chopped
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and line a 2lb loaf tin with parchment.
- Beat the butter, sugar and egg yolks together. Add the yoghurt, juice and zest and combine.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and cardamom until combined and add this to the butter mixture.
- Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks and fold this into the rest of the ingredients. Scoop it into the prepared tin and bake for an hour and five minutes or until a skewer come out clean. Once cool enough to handle place onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing whisk the icing sugar and lemon juice together. Pour this over the cake and decorate with the nuts.