Chiffon cakes are some of the most beautiful cakes you’ll find in a bakery case. They are tall, with an airy, even crumb that promises every bite will be light and fluffy.
- 200ml (170 g) castor sugar250ml (140 g) Snowflake cake flour2ml salt
- 5ml cream of tartar
- 250ml fresh cream, whipped
- 3 large eggs, separated
- Beat egg yolks and gradually add half the sugar, while beating constantly, until mixture becomes light and creamy.
- Sift flour and salt together. Fold into egg mixture and mix until smooth.
- Beat egg whites until foamy, add cream of tartar and gradually add remaining sugar, beating until soft peak stage.
- Gently fold egg whites into cake mixture, using a metal spoon.
- Spoon mixture into a lined and greased, deep 23 cm round springform cake pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C for about 30 minutes. Leave in pan for a few minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Run a thin knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the cake, then transfer it to a cake stand to serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container.