This olive oil cake from beloved coffee shop Abraço in New York’s East Village is everything. The not-too-sweet cake comes together shockingly easily, but also disappears with frightening speed
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup mild-flavored organic olive oil
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Oil and flour 9x5x3-inch metal loaf pan. Whisk first 5 ingredients in large bowl. Whisk eggs, milk, olive oil, and orange peel in medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk egg mixture into dry ingredients. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, 60 to 65 minutes. Cool in pan on rack 20 minutes. Invert pan to remove cake. Cool completely, top side up.