These Milk and Sugar Mini Buns are soft and delicate bread bites that are generously sprinkled with milk powder and sugar to make heavenly treats.
- 1/4 cup warm water 110-115 F
- 2 and 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 and 1/4 to 3 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg for the egg wash
For the Milk-Sugar Mixture
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk powder
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a small bowl. Let this stand for about 5 minutes or until foamy.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine milk, butter, egg, sugar and salt. Stir well. Stir in the yeast mixture. Add 3 cups of flour and incorporate it into the mixture. Gradually add little by little of the remaining flour just until the dough gathers together into a ball as you stir. You may not need all of the remaining flour.
- Turn the dough over on a floured board and knead for about 6-10 minutes, or until the dough is smooth, elastic and can stretch thinly. Place it inside a bowl, cover it with plastic wrap and let it rise for 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours until the size is doubled.
- After rising, gently deflate the dough and use a sharp knife to divide it into 9 portions. Shape each portion into a smooth ball and arrange them on a greased baking pan, close together. Cover the pan loosely with plastic wrap and let the buns rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine the milk powder and sugar in a bowl and stir well. Beat one egg and brush it on the surface of the buns. Sprinkle 1/2 of the milk-sugar mixture all over the risen buns.
- Bake at 350 F for 17-20 minutes or until the buns are golden.
- Allow the buns to cool slightly and sprinkle the remaining milk-sugar mixture over the buns.