Easy Orange Creamsicle Cake. A sponge cake soaked in tart, sweet orange syrup and then covered in a creamy mascarpone based frosting. So luscious!
- 1 sponge cake
- 3/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 cup icing sugar, powdered sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- Mix together the orange juice concentrate and honey.
- Using a fork or wooden skewer poke plenty of holes all over the surface of both cake layers.
- Spoon the honey and orange syrup over the surface of both cake layers. You may need to do this in several attempts allowing the syrup to soak into the cake between applications.
- Whip the cream, icing sugar and vanilla to firm peaks.
- Remove about 3/4 of the whipped cream from the bowl and to the remaining 1/4 of the whipped cream, whip in the mascarpone cheese until smooth.
- Gently fold this mixture into the reserved whipped cream and frost the middle , sides and top of the cake with the frosting.
- Garnish with additional whipped cream and orange slices if desired.
- Chill the cake for a couple of hours before serving.