This delicate French Lemon Cake with Lemon Glaze is the perfect lemon cake recipe for teatime or whenever you need a warm-weather dessert. The cake itself, like other French cakes, is moist and sweet, while the glaze offers a hint of sour lemon flavor to create a delicious contrast. The bright yellow of the lemon is reminiscent of summertime, and this cake would be a pretty finishing touch for a party of a picnic. You’ll love the classic combo of sweet treats and tart flavors. Plus, it’s made in the slow cooker, meaning you can forget about it once you add in the ingredients! And with its delicate lemon glaze, this cake will be elegant enough to serve at a dinner party this summer. You’ll love how easy it is to make this refreshing cake.
- Cake Ingredients
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Dash of salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for the pan
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Zest of 1 lemon (see Tip below)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Lemon Glaze Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Butter a 7-inch springform pan and set aside. Crumple a sheet of aluminum foil, about 24 inches long, into a thin strip, then form it into a 7-inch ring. Place the ring in the bottom of a large slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg. Add the sour cream and blend well.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, beating until well blended. Beat in the lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Place the filled springform pan on the foil ring in the slow cooker. Cover the slow cooker and bake on high for 3 to 4 hours, or until a wooden pick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Remove the outer ring from the pan and let the cake cool completely.
- Glaze Instructions : In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Pour the glaze over the cooled cake.