These moist, rich, and almost cake-like morsels Lemon Ricotta Cookies are almost like biting into a cloud!
- 2 sticks (1 cup) plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 425 grams sugar (about 2 cups)
- 1 ¾ cups ricotta cheese (15 ounces), preferably fresh
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 480 grams gluten free cookie flour (about 4 cups)
- 4 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 10 grams baking soda (2 teaspoons)
- 6 grams fine sea salt (about 1 teaspoon)
- 450 grams confectioners’ sugar (about 4 cups)
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon to ¼ cup milk, as needed
cUsing an electric mixer, cream 2 sticks butter with sugar until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add ricotta, lemon zest and 4 teaspoons vanilla and beat well. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Scrape the sides of the bowl down with a rubber spatula, then beat in flour, baking soda and salt. Cover dough and chill for at least 2 hours and up to a week.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and line several cookie sheets with parchment paper or nonstick liners. Shape tablespoons of dough into balls. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheets and bake until pale golden on the bottom, about 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool on wire racks.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoon butters. Whisk confectioners’ sugar to break up any large lumps, then whisk in melted butter, lemon juice, remaining 1½ teaspoons vanilla and enough milk to make a spreadable icing. Spread icing on cooled cookies, then let set for at least 20 minutes before serving