Homemade Soft White Bread is an easy recipe that makes a super soft and delicious loaf of bread! Tender and full of flavor, watch it disappear as quickly as you slice into it! This is far better than any store bought loaf of bread out there!
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups white bread flour
- 4 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast or 2 packets
- In Kitchenaid stand mixer or in a large bowl, add ingredients as follows: Warm milk, melted butter, sugar, salt, and 1 cups of the flour.
- Make a small well in the flour and pour the yeast into the well.
- Add the dough hook attachment (if using the mixer) and turn the mixer on slowly. Let turn until dough begins to form at low speed. Or, work by hand until dough forms.
- Stop the mixer as needed to put flour down the sides of the bowl to allow to incorporate. Continue to add the remaining flour 1 cup at a time.
- Once the dough has formed, turn mixer (if using) onto a slightly higher speed and “knead” the dough, approximately 7 minutes. Add more flour by the tablespoon. If kneading by hand, work the dough until it is no longer sticky.
- The dough should still be very soft but not wet. (I used all 5 cups of flour)
- Turn the dough out onto the lightly floured board. Knead a few more times. Place in a lightly oiled bowl (I use my Kitchenaid bowl – I just wash it first) and cover with wrap.
- Set in a warm, draft-free spot and let rise until doubled in size. About 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- Punch dough down and divide in half. Shape into 2 loaves and place in a bread pan sprayed with cooking spray. Sit in a warm, dry place and cover with a towel until the dough has risen to the top of the bread pan (or slightly over). About 1 hour.
- Bake the bread in an oven pre-heated to 350 degrees and bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately rub the top of loaves with butter if desired.