These brown butter madeleines are light, airy, and buttery mini sponge cakes with a scalloped shell shape and golden crisp edges!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter2 eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Nice drizzle of honey (1 to 2 teaspoons)
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 orange, zested
- Special equipment: madeleine mold
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- To brown the butter, melt the butter over medium heat in a heavy saucepan, allowing to bubble and foam, stirring frequently. Once the foaming subsides, allow the butter to brown along the bottom and then remove the pan from the heat. Browning will take about 5 minutes total; do not burn.
- In a medium bowl, mix the eggs, sugar, and honey with electric mixer until thick and pale. Add the browned butter and mix.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt, and mix into liquid ingredients, along with zest, just until blended.
- Fill the greased madeleine baking molds and bake until golden, 9 to 11 minutes.
*Cook’s Note: you may substitute a mini-muffin pan for madeleine molds.