This vanilla cake recipe is so easy to make, feel free to go big on the decoration. A simple dusting of icing sugar or edible flowers are our go-to options
- 175g (6oz) margarine or softened butter
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 175g (6oz) self-raising flour, sifted
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Heat the oven to 180°C (gas mark 4). Lightly grease an 18cm (7in) round cake tin with a little extra butter or margarine and cut a piece of greaseproof paper or non-stick baking parchment to fit the base of the tin.
- Put all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon or a hand-held mixer for 1 minute, or until just combined. It’s important not to beat the batter too much – just long enough to make it smooth.
- Pour or spoon the mixture into the tin, smooth the top and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for about 45-50 minutes. The cake is cooked when it looks well risen and golden; the top should spring back when lightly touched with a fingertip. Another test is to insert a skewer into the centre of the cake – it should come out clean.
- Let the cake sit in the tin for 5 minutes, then gently run a knife around the edge and turn the cake out onto a wire rack to cool. Serve dusted with icing sugar.