Infused with fragrant, citrusy grapefruit flavor, these moist mini pound cakes are a sophisticated-yet-simple treat. A classic version of buttery pound cake is the starting point of this recipe, but it gets notched up with a grapefruit syrup that’s brushed on while the cakes are still warm from the oven. This recipe is sized down for two, but also yields enough for two nights of dessert. Get ready—your kitchen is going to smell delicious!
- 3/4 cup Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon grated grapefruit zest
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream Syrup
- 1/4 cup grapefruit juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Heat oven to 325°F. Grease four 4×2-inch loaf pans with shortening; lightly flour. In small bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In medium bowl, beat softened butter and 2/3 cup sugar with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds; increase speed to high, and beat 2 to 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally, until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low; beat in eggs, one at a time, just until smooth. Beat in vanilla and grapefruit zest. On low speed, beat in one-third of the flour mixture, then half of the milk, beating well after each addition, just until smooth. Repeat with flour mixture and milk, ending with flour mixture. Scrape side of bowl occasionally. Beat in sour cream until blended. Divide batter among loaf pans.
- Bake 24 to 27 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in 1-quart saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir Syrup ingredients until dissolved.
- Immediately after cakes come out of oven, use toothpick to poke tops of cakes every 1/4 inch, and brush with one-fourth of the syrup. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Loosen sides with spatula; turn cakes upside down onto cooling rack placed over rimmed baking sheet. Poke bottoms and sides of cakes with toothpick; brush bottoms and sides with remaining syrup. Cool completely, about 45 minutes. For a pretty presentation, serve cakes upside down and topped with sweetened whipped cream, if desired.
- Any leftover cake can be kept, covered, in refrigerator for 1 day.