- 1½ cups plain flour
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Grated rind of 1 mandarin and 2 Tbsp juice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup mandarin juice and grated rind of 1 mandarin
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease and line a 13cm x 23cm loaf pan.
- Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl and stir through mandarin rind.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, yoghurt, mandarin juice and vanilla extract. Add to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour into prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Turn out onto a plate.
- Meanwhile, to make the syrup, simmer mandarin juice and sugar in a small saucepan over a low heat for 5 minutes, until reduced and syrupy. Stir in mandarin rind.
- Using a skewer, pierce a few holes in the top of the cake while it’s still warm. Slowly pour over half of the syrup until it is absorbed.
- To serve, slice cake and drizzle with remaining syrup.