This is my favorite recipe in the book. I use this cake more than 85% of the time. It’s always delicious. The Soft as Silk brand of cake flour gives best results.
- 3 cups (330 g) cake flour
- 1 tablebspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces or 230 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups (454 g) granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (10 fluid ounces or 300 ml) buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter and line with parchment paper two 8×2-inch (20×5-cm) pans. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut up the butter into 1-inch pieces and place them in the large bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment or beaters. Beat for 3 minutes on MEDIUM-HIGH speed until the butter is light and creamy in color. Stop and scrape the bowl. Cream the butter for an additional 60 seconds.
- *Add the sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, beating 1 minute after each addition. Scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally. Add the eggs one at a time.
- Reduce the mixer speed. Stir vanilla into the buttermilk. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk. Mix just until incorporated. Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix for 15 seconds longer.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a knife. Lift up the pan with the batter, and let it drop onto the counter top to burst any air bubbles, allowing the batter to settle.
- *Center the pans onto the lower third of the oven and let bake 45 to 50 minutes or until the cake is lightly brown on top and comes away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.