This is the perfect sponge cake every single time. Sponge cakes are really light, fluffy and voluminous but they are a little bit drier on the inside and that is because they are made without any oil, butter or grease. This is the perfect cake for any type of filling especially when you are going to use fruits or jam.
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (200 g) white granulated sugar
- 1 cup (125 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350F/177C when starting the recipe. Line the bottom of the pans with parchment paper but do not grease the sides, otherwise, the cake will not rise properly.
- Place the eggs, sugar and vanilla into the bowl and whisk on high speed for 7 to 9 minutes, until the eggs are thick, pale and voluminous.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour and baking powder. Once the eggs are ready, sift the dry ingredients into the eggs in small increments or one-third at a time.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 22 minutes, or until the top of the cake turns a rich, golden-brown colour. Immediately after removing the cake from the oven, run a knife along the edge of the pan to release the cake.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before splitting/cutting the cake or using for a cake recipe.