A drizzle cake with a tasty berry twist! By adding juicy raspberries to the cake mix and topping with a sharp raspberry drizzle after baking this cake is given a summery, colourful kick. Kids will enjoy helping to make this fruity bake and will love the bright pink of the raspberry drizzle icing.
- 125g lightly salted butter, softened, plus 1 tsp extra to grease the tin
- 150g (5oz) fresh raspberries, plus extra to decorate
- 150g self-raising flour
- 150g (5oz) caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp whole milk
- 2 small lemons, finely grated zest of both and juice of 1
- 90g (3 1/2oz) icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Use a teaspoon of butter to lightly grease a 900g (2lb) loaf tin then line with non-stick baking parchment. Toss 100g (3 1/2oz) raspberries with 1 tablespoon flour in a separate bowl.
- In a bowl, beat the caster sugar and remaining 125g (4oz) butter together until very pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, a little at a time, then sieve in the remaining flour and baking powder, mixing well to combine – the kids will love helping with this. Stir in the milk and finely grated lemon zest, followed by the floured raspberries that will crush slightly as they are mixed.
- Transfer to the loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes until well risen and golden. A skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean. Mash the remaining 50g (2oz) raspberries with the lemon juice and icing sugar in a bowl.
- Prick the hot cake all over with a skewer. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Combine the remaining 50g (2oz) raspberries with the icing sugar and lemon juice, mashing with the back of a spoon. Push the icing through a sieve, again, mashing with the back of the spoon to push all the berry pulp through, leaving the seeds behind. The icing will be thin and very bright in colour.
- Spoon the raspberry icing over the warm cake. Much of it will be absorbed. Leave the cake to cool completely in the tin before turning out. Decorate with more fresh raspberries on top then cut into slices to serve.