This honey thyme and lemon cake are sweet, delicate and delicious. Its best served with a dollop of yoghurt.
- 2 Sticks (1 Cup | 225g) Butter
- ½ Cup (60g) Powdered Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- ¼ Cup Honey
- 1 cup (100g) Ground Almonds
- 1 cup (185g) Semolina
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- ½ Cup (100g) Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- Lemon Peel
- 3-4 Springs of Thyme
- ½ Cup (125ml) Water
- In a mixing bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs in one at a time, beating well in between each addition until they are fully combined. Add in the honey and vanilla and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl measure out the dry ingredients, the ground almonds, semolina, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Mix until combined.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet and use a wooden spoon to fold everything together until well combined.
- Pour the batter in a prepared loaf tin and bake in a 180C|350F oven for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, add the sugar, honey, lemon, thyme and water into a small saucepan and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven. Using a skewer, pierce holes throughout the cake and pour over the syrup. Place the cake back into the oven for 10 minutes to absorb up all of the syrup.
- Cool on a cooling rack before serving with a dollop of yoghurt.