These homemade mini fish buns are filled with spiced potato and canned mackerel. They are great for breakfast, lunch, snack, or lunchboxes and freezer-friendly too. This fish Bun is soft, spicy, and very delicious. Find the detailed recipe with alternative ingredients below.
Bread Roll Dough( Bun Dough)
- 500g/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons/6.30 g instant yeast
- 1 cup / 240ml of whole milk( room temperature)
- ½ cup/ 120ml of warm water
- 30 g/ 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter( room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Egg Wash – one large egg yolk and 1/2 teaspoon water/ milk
- 1 can( 425g) of Mackerel or 3 cans of tuna in brine crumbled
- 2 medium / about 275g boiled potatoes (mashed with a fork)
- 1 medium/ 100g red onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1′ inch ginger minced
- 2 green chilies sliced( optional)
- 4-5 fresh curry leaves chopped
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 1/ 2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (according to your taste)
Instructions : Bread Roll Dough
- Combine flour, yeast, sugar, salt, and butter in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center.
- Add warm water and milk to the flour mixture and knead it to form a very soft dough.
- Next, turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead the dough for 10 minutes or until the dough springs back.
- Put the dough into an oiled bowl and cover the bowl with cling wrap and leave it somewhere warm for 1 hour or till the dough is doubled in size.
- Place a pan on medium heat with 1 Tablespoon of oil. Add the onion and fry for a minute.
- Add the crumbled mackerel or tuna followed by chopped curry leaves, and fry for 3 minutes.
- Next, add minced ginger, garlic, turmeric, and stir to mix. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Now, add the mashed potatoes, salt, black pepper, red chili powder, and sliced green chilies. Mix until well combined and cook for 5 more minutes. Take it off the heat and cool completely.
Filling the Buns
- After an hour, punch the dough down, leave it to rest for 10 minutes and shape the dough
Divide the dough into half. Next, roll each half into a log and divide each log into 10 equal size pieces for mini buns.
- Roll each ball of dough into about 3-inch circles). Place 1/2 Tablespoon of fish filling in the center.
- Bring the upper right corner of the circle to the center. Next, bring the upper left corner of the circle and overlap it, and slightly pinch the edges.
- Lastly, overlap the bottom part of the circle, slightly pinch to make a triangular-shaped bun.
Place the triangular buns on a parchment paper-lined sheet pan. Cover and let it rise until double in size, about 40 minutes. (depends on how warm the room is)
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 190° C / 374°F
- After 40 minutes, gently brush milk or cream on top of the buns.
- Bake the buns till golden brown for 15- 18 minutes.