Treat yourself to this super-moist Japanese sponge cake with a hint of honey!
- 7 egg whites
- 100g castor sugar
- 7 egg yolks
- 35g honey
- 100g bread flour
- 35g milk
- Beat the egg whites over a hot water bath with the electric mixer.
- Add the castor sugar to the egg white in batches.
- Stop beating when the meringue forms soft peaks.
- Add the egg yolks, one by one into the meringue. Mix well.
- Add the honey, mix well.
- Add the sieved bread flour to the batter in two batches. Combine thoroughly.
- Add the milk and mix well.
- Use the silicone spatula to scrape the side of the mixing bowl to capture all the possible flour that has mixed well.
- Prepare the cake pan lined with baking paper, and surrounded with corrugated cardboards wrapped with aluminum foil at all the sides. Pour the batter into the cake pan slowly from the position about one foot above the base. Slam the cake pan (with batter) onto the table to break the large bubbles. Use a wooden skewer to break the smaller bubbles on the surface.
- Bake at 160°C/320°F uncovered for about 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and slam it on the table to reduce shrinkage. Overturn the cake upended for one minute to flatten the surface. Wrap with cling film and leave it in the refrigerator for half a day
- Trim off the sides to make it a perfect rectangle. Cut it into slices and serve.