This is an absolutely amazing, fluffy, moist super soft butter cotton cake.
- 8 oz butter softened (1 cup or 2 sticks)
- 1 and 1/4 cup (7.9 Oz) of granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract / mixed essence
- Orange or lemon zest
- 1 and 3/4 (7.8 Oz) cup of cake flour
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) of whole milk
- 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp melted butter for pan
- 2 to 3 tbsp flour for pan
- Start off with butter which is the base of this cake and make sure you use good quality butter which will give you a really nice buttery flavor and texture.
- Place the softened butter in a large bowl then blend it for about 30 seconds until nice and smooth then start incorporating granulated sugar into the butter and cream them together for around 8 minutes, you really want to incorporate air to this mixture and make it really fluffy. Start adding in one egg at a time while mixing after each addition until the egg is completely mixed into the butter mixture, you will then add in about two teaspoons of vanilla extract to enhance the flavor of the cake and you will also zest in some orange or lemon then incorporate everything.
- For the dry ingredients, you will sift into another bowl cake flour together with baking powder, salt, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg. You can also use all-purpose flour but cake flour will help this cake be super light and fluffy. Into the batter mixture, you will start adding the dry ingredients and milk in portions starting with a little bit of the flour and the milk until they are all incorporated and the batter is smooth.
- You will use your spatula to incorporate everything so that you don’t overmix the batter. In a round cake pan, rub melted butter all-round the pan then lightly dust it with some flour. Pour in the batter and even it on top and give it a tap on the counter to remove any trapped air bubbled in the batter.
- Bake in the 350 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven for 40 minutes until nice and golden brown on top, the cake will pull away from the edges beautifully. Let the cake cool for about 20 minutes before you flip it and serve.