The bread is dense and moist with a nutty flavor and crunch from walnuts. Pouring the coconut glaze over the warm bread allows it to seep into the bread and add sweetness to a bread that’s not overly sweet.
- 4 extra large eggs
- 2 c granulated sugar
- 1 c vegetable oil
- 2 tsp coconut flavoring
- 3 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 c buttermilk
- 1 c flaked coconut
- 1 c chopped walnuts
- 1 c granulated sugar
- 1/2 c water
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp coconut flavoring
- Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl.
- Add sugar, oil, and coconut flavoring; blend well.
- Sifting flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Alternating with buttermilk, add dry ingredients to the egg mixture.
- Fold in flaked coconut and walnuts.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-inch Bundt pan.
- Bake at 325 for 1 1/2 hours. Test that the bread is baked.
- After the bread comes out of the oven and while still in the Bundt pan, combine the sugar, water, and butter.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the topping from the heat and add 1 teaspoon of coconut flavoring.
- Pour immediately over the warm bread and let stand for 4 hours before removing it from the pan.