This recipe is so good, super moist and makes a great base for pretty much any combination of flavor muffins you could possibly want. Buttermilk will add a slightly tangy flavor and the acidity of the buttermilk breaks down the gluten in the flour, resulting in a more tender muffin. The mixing on this recipe is pretty simple, put softened butter in a bowl then add in sugar the blend that up until nice and fluffy.
- 4 ounces/ 114 grams unsalted butter (1/2 cup) softened
- 5 ounces granulated/ 142grams sugar (3/4 cup)
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 10 ounces/284grams cake flour (2 cups)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 ounces buttermilk (1 cup) room temperature
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit – Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Sift together your flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together your butter and sugar in a medium bowl with your mixer until light and fluffy
- Add in your egg and vanilla. Continue creaming until pale in color
- While mixing on low, add in 1/3 of your flour mixture, then 1/3 of your buttermilk. Repeat two more times until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Fold in your desired mix-ins such as fruit, nuts or spices.
- Fill your liners all the way to the top with muffin batter.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until edges begin to slightly brown and a wooden skewer comes out cleanly when inserted into the center of the muffin.
- Let your muffins cool in the pan for 10 minutes then move them to a cooling rack to cool the rest of the way.