This cake made using the cooked dough method, and that turned out perfectly. It is one of the best cake I have ever tasted. which is no fail for making buttery and moist cake and it’s super light, cotton soft and fluffy texture. Such a perfect treat for afternoon tea with a cup of coffee. Here is a step by step recipe to make your cake turn out like it came from a Chinese bakery or even better than a real thing.
- 70g butter
- 56g-60g milk
- 40g sugar
- 92g, 4 egg yolks
- 96g-100g cake flour
- a pinch of salt
- 140g, 4 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar or fresh lemon juice
- 80g granulated sugar
- In a saucepan, heat the butter over low heat, add milk and sugar, stir until melted. Turn off the heat, add the egg yolks one at a time and and beat for 5 seconds, add a pinch of sea salt and sift in the cake flour and whisk until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk (B) egg whites until foamy then add cream of tartar and sugar a little bit at a time until to a thick and stiff peak stage, about 3 minutes.
- Strain the batter for extra smooth, and folding the egg whites into a smooth batter, and mix until incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the two, 6-inch prepared tin with baking parchment and use a spatula and smooth the surface.
- Use a large baking pan for a hot water bath, Bake in the preheated oven 130°C for 40-45 minutes. rest in the oven for at least 15 minutes until the oven temperature reaches 50°C , and remove from the oven.
- Once the cake is cool, remove the lining. Transfer the cake to a plate for serving. Any leftover cake can be covered and kept in the fridge for 2 days.