Such and incredibly delicious banana cake that everyone will love! Two layers of moist banana cake are topped with a luscious caramel frosting, a sweet and salty caramel sauce, crunchy walnuts and sweet banana slices. The perfect cake for any occasion!
- 1 cup (210g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 tsp Morton Fine Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup (56g) unsalted butter, diced into 1 Tbsp pieces
- 2/3 cup (160ml) heavy cream
- 2 pinches Morton Coarse Sea Salt, for topping
- 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter
- 3 cups (390g) (360g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce (from above)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, for garnish (optional)
- 2 bananas, diced, for topping (optional)
- Semi-sweet chocolate shavings, for garnish (optional)
- Prepare banana cake as directed and let cool completely. Meanwhile prepare the caramel sauce.
- For the caramel sauce: have all caramel ingredients ready. In a medium saucepan combine sugar, water and sea salt.
- Set over medium-high heat and whisk constantly until it begins to boil, then allow mixture to boil until it turns to a rich amber color, carefully swirling pan occasionally.
- Immediately whisk in butter then remove from heat and whisk in cream (be careful, it will steam! A long handled whisk is recommend) and stir until smooth.
- Allow to cool several minutes then pour into a glass bowl or jar and chill caramel until completely cooled.
- For the frosting: whip butter until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar, 1/2 cup of the cooled caramel sauce, sea salt and vanilla.
- Mix until well combined and slightly fluffy. Chill until it becomes a more firm consistency if needed.
- To assemble cake: spread about half of the frosting over first layer of cake then drizzle and spread a fair spoonful of the caramel sauce over the frosting.
- Top with the second layer of cake then add remaining frosting. Just before serving top with the bananas* and nuts, then drizzle over remaining caramel sauce, sprinkle with shaved chocolate and coarse sea salt.