This simple vanilla cake is soft on the inside and has a nice vanilla flavour. It is a very simple cake to bake with really simple ingredients and you can add more flavour of your choice to make it suitable for your taste.
- ¼ cup (60ml) oil
- 1 cup (100g/ 3.5Oz) cake flour
- 1/4 cup (60ml) cold milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 and ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 6 egg whites
- 1 tsp lemon juice (or 1 tsp white vinegar or 1 tsp cream of tartar)
- ¾ cups (150g/ 5.3Oz) sugar
- In a small saucepan heat a quarter cup of oil in the microwave until 185Fahrenheit then pour the hot oil in a large mixing bowl and to that add one cup of cake flour and mix until smooth.
- Add a quarter cup of cold milk into the smooth dough and mix until combined then set it aside. In a separate bowl, separate 6 eggs from the yolks and add the yolks into the smooth dough mix in two portions and mix the egg yolks in until they are well combined then add vanilla essence for flavouring. ‘
- Bring the bowl with the egg whites and add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and whisk it until frothy then gradually add a three-quarters cup of sugar and whip the meringue until it reaches a stiff peak. Add the meringue into the egg yolk mixture in thirds while folding after each addition until you get a homogenous mixture.
- Prepare mini round cake moulds by greasing them and lightly coat them with flour then pour the batter in the cake moulds to about three-quarters full and place the moulds in a large tray and add hot water in the tray. Bake in a preheated oven at 320 degrees Fahrenheit (160C) for 30 to 40 minutes.
- If you are baking in a round 8-inch baking tin the bake the cake in the same temperature for 60 to 70 minutes. Once baked, let the cakes cool in the pan before inverting it on a wire rack or plate and serve them.