I’m sure everyone loves orange cake! This orange butter cake with yogurt is not only dense but soft, and full of orange fragrance, with a little hint of citrusy lemon. It’s another quick and easy recipe to whip up for an afternoon tea, and is delicious without frosting. It can be baked in 2 small 5 inch cake pans or one 7 inch round cake pan.
- 180 g butter – room temperature
- 95 g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs – lightly beaten
- 100 ml orange juice + 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- orange zest from 2 oranges
- 150 g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp natural yogurt
- Grease 2 pieces 5 inch cake pan or 1 piece 7 inch round cake pan. Preheat oven to 170 deg C.
- Sift plain flour and baking powder together, add orange zest, mix well and set aside.
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla extract with an elecrtic mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Use low speed and slowly add in beaten eggs until mixture incorporated, mix well.
- Gradually add the sifted flour mixture, alternate with orange/lemon juice, stop machine.
- Lastly add in natural yogurt, fold well with a rubber spatula.
- Pour batter into cake pan and bake in preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in cake comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven, let it stay in cake pan for 10 minutes. Then cool cake completely on wire rack.