Cake and sauce are delicious served warm or at room temperature. Toffee sauce will thicken if refrigerated; reheat to thin.
- 2 cup sultanas, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 160 gram butter, at room temperature, plus 80 g extra
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar, plus 1 1/2 cups extra
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cup self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 300 millilitre cream
- vanilla ice-cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan forced. Grease and line base and side of a 20cm (base diameter) round cake pan with baking paper.
- Place sultanas and 2 cups water in a large saucepan over moderate heat; cook and stir until mixture comes to the boil. Add bicarbonate of soda; stir to combine (mixture will rise and froth). Remove pan from heat. Cool, stirring often, to release heat from mixture. Add essence; stir to combine.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in a medium bowl until light and creamy.
- Add eggs, one by one, beating well after each addition. Using a large metal spoon, fold in sifted flour, ginger and sultana mixture. Spoon into prepared pan; level top.
- Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted at centre comes out clean (cover with foil if browning too quickly). Stand for 10 minutes in pan. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Combine extra butter, extra brown sugar and cream in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook and stir for 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil; simmer for 3 minutes or until toffee sauce has reduced and thickened slightly.
- Cut cake into slices. Serve, with toffee sauce and ice-cream.