Rösti is essentially a potato pancake made by frying grated potatoes in oil. A dish made with potatoes only may not sound super tempting. My variation calls for cheese and cured meat, to add more flavors to the dish. Crispy and golden on the outside, oozing with cheese, the Rösti is super hearty and satisfying!
- 2 large potatoes (450g peeled)
- 100g mozzarella cheese, grated/chopped
- 70g pancetta, chopped
- 1 tbs cornstarch
- salt pepper to taste
- Peel and grate potatoes into a large bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let the potatoes rest for about 5 minutes, then squeeze as much liquid as possible out of them (paper towel may help). Add chopped mozzarella cheese, pancetta and cornstarch, toss and mix.
- Heat a lightly greased non-stick pan (smaller size), add Rösti mixture. Press the mixture to make an even layer covering the whole pan. Cook over medium-low heat for about 10 min (with lid on).
- Carefully flip it, continue cooking for about 5-10 mins, until both sides are golden and crispy.