This is a classic cheesecake — velvety, rich, sweet and so satisfying. We are major fans of a thin sour cream cap on top of cheesecakes; it’s the perfect balance to this rich cake.
- 3 slices castella or sponge cake
- 250 g cream cheese;
- 3 egg yolks;
- 160g cream;
- 2 tbsp milk;
- 1 tsp lemon juice;
- 30g flour;
- 3 egg whites;
- 45g sugar
- Preheat oven to 160C (320F).
- Use mixer to beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar, egg yolks, cream, milk, lemon juice and flour.
- Separately beat egg whites until foamy, add white sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into the cream cheese batter.
- Crumble castella cake and press on the bottom of 20 cm (8 inches) spring form, lined with parchment. Pour cheese
- batter on top of the crust.
- Wrap the bottom of the pan with foil and place it into a tray filled with hot water.
- Bake for 1 hour. Cool down completely and serve decorated with lemon slices and sprinkled with powdered sugar.