This cake is super light and fluffy and will melt in your mouth.
- 3 egg yolks
- 225g (1 cup) sweeten yogurt (or plain yogurt and add more sugar to the meringue)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 30g (1/4 cup) flour
- 10g (1 1/3 tbsp) cornstarch
- 4 egg white
- 50g sugar* (use about 70g sugar if you use plain yogurt)
- Start by separating three egg whites from the yolks and place the yolks in a large mixing bowl. Into the yolks, add half a teaspoon of vanilla extract and lemon juice then mix lightly for a minute. Add one cup of room-temperature yogurt and continue mixing until well combined. Sift in a quarter cup of flour and cornstarch then mix until the dry ingredients are moistened and the mixture has no lumps. Set it aside.
- Bring the bowl with the egg whites and start beating the whites on low speed increase the speed to medium after a minute and add 50 grams of sugar in three additions. Once you have added the last batch of sugar, reduce the speed to low and continue beating until the meringue reaches a soft peak.
- You should not overbeat the meringue because it will be stiff. Add the meringue to the egg yolk mixture and fold it in until it’s mixed well then pour the mixture into the bowl with the meringue and continue folding. Fold it just until the batter and meringue are incorporated do not overmix this batter. Pour the batter into the prepared baking tin and tap it on your counter to remove any trapped air in the batter to release the trapped air.
- Place the tin into a large baking tray and add hot water (about 80C) to the tray to create a water bath. Bake the cake in a preheated 150 Celcius (300F) oven for 25 minutes then open the oven door for 10 seconds and close it then reduce the temperature to 100 Celcius (212F) and bake for another 60 minutes.
- Once baked, remove the cake from the oven and let it stay in the pan for about 10 minutes then remove it from the pan onto a serving plate. Serve plain dusted with powdered sugar or with cream on the side. Enjoy.