Crunchy golden fried chicken is an absolute crowd-pleaser. By seasoning the chicken in spices and soaking it in buttermilk before frying, this version makes something great even better.
- 2 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 8 x 125g chicken thigh fillets, trimmed
- 2 cups (500ml) buttermilk
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 2 cups (300g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes, plus extra to serve
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
- Place the paprika and fennel seeds in a large bowl and mix to combine. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Add the buttermilk, mix to combine and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Fill a large saucepan two-thirds full with oil and place over medium heat until the temperature reaches 180°C (350°F) on a deep-frying thermometer.
- While the oil is heating, place the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper on a large tray and toss to combine.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk mixture, allowing any excess liquid to drip off. Place on the tray with the flour mixture and toss to coat evenly.
- Deep-fry the chicken, in batches, for 5–6 minutes or until crisp, golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towel and keep warm. Sprinkle with extra salt to serve.