This is a delicious orange cake flavored with lemon best served with custard and also great on its own with a cup of tea or coffee.
- 175g / 6½oz Self raising flour, If using plain or all-purpose flour add an extra 1½tsp baking powder
- 120g / 4½oz Granulated sugar
- 175g / 6½oz Vegetable or Sunflower oil
- 4 Large eggs
- 1tsp Baking powder
- ¼tsp Salt
- 100g / 3½oz Icing or powdered sugar
- 1 medium orange
- 1 medium lemon
- Start by greasing and flouring a 900 gram that is 2-pound loaf tin with a dimension of 23cm by 12cm by 7cm(9inches by 5 inches by 3 inches) the preheat the oven to 170 degrees celcius/388 Fahrenheit. Zest a lemon and an orange and make sure you do not go into the white part of the fruit and juice both the fruits into a small cup.
- Add four large eggs into a large mixing bowl the gove them a good whisk then add the oil and whisk that too. Mix in the sugar and beat that in until it is melted into the mixture. For the dry ingredients, add self-raising flour in a bowl together with baking powder and salt, if you are using all-purpose flour, add an extra one and a half tablespoon of baking powder.
- Sift the dry ingredients to the egg batter and fold that in with a hand whisk into a smooth batter. Finally, add the zest from the orange and lemon and this will give the cake a nice citrus taste, this batter will be a bit runnier than your normal cake but don’t worry that is how its suppose to be.
- Once the flour is moistened into the batter, pour it into the prepared cake tin and bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes, check if the cake is ready with a skewer and it if comes out clean, remove it from the oven and let it cool, if the cake is still uncooked, gove it another 5 minutes in the oven. Once slightly cooled, poke holes on the cake and pour the lemon and orange juice and let it soak in for about 5 minutes. Get the cake out of the tin and onto a plate then serve.