Because we love Shokupan too much, we’ve made Croissant into Shokupan.
- 260 g bread flour ※French bread flour. Replace 20% of bread flour with all-purpose flour
- 30 g sugar
- 5 g salt
- 4 g instant dry yeast
- 1 egg yolk
- 40 ml whole milk
- 100~120 ml water
- 30 g unsalted butter
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 10 g all-purpose flour
- Combine the dry ingredients.
- Next, combine the wet ingredients.Whisk together the egg yolk and water, and milk.Add wet ingredients in dry in 3 stages.
- Stir until the dough comes together, then let it sit 10 mins to relax the gluten.
- Push the dough with your palm, and fold it back to your side.
- Spread the dough and place the room temperature butter.
- Developing gluten at the early stages of kneading makes your bread rise tall and fluffy.The fat prevents developing gluten but it is need to make a moist and last-long bread.
- Knead until it comes back together.
- Transfer to a greased bowl and let it rise for 60 mins or until double in volume.
- Take out onto a countertop, and fold from the right and left, then top and bottom. Wrap in a piece of plastic and put it in the freezer for about 20 to 30 mins until chill completely.
- Roll it out to 25 cm square.
- Place the butter on top and fold the butter.
- Seal the end by pressing.
- Roll it out in a large rectangle, then fold in from the right and left, and fold in half.
- Wrap it up and let it rest in a freezer for about 30 mins.
- Take out and roll it out for the second turn.
- Dust with flour generously, and push gently until the dough starts stretching.If you do it quickly, the dough is shrinking and spring back.
- Roll out into a rectangle and fold in 4.
- Wrap it up and let it chill 30 mins in the freezer.
- Take out and roll it out for the shaping until 5mm thickness, 25cm square.
- Divide the dough into 3.Cut each dough into 3, then braid.Put it in a greased mold,Let it rise at room temperature until double in volume.
- While proofing, pre-heat the oven for 200℃.Pop it in the oven for 20 mins.
- Folding in the butter in the bread dough is fun but annoying somehow.To make your butter easy to handle, add in a small amount of flour.
- Sprinkle flour onto the butter, and beat the butter to mix-in.
- Continue folding and beating until mixed-in.
- Wrap it in plastic, then roll it out to 15cm × 15cm square.
- Chill until used.