Indulge in a delicious mid-afternoon sweet treat with these gorgeously gooey black cherry doughnuts. They are crammed with summery cherry jam and are the perfect pick-me-up.
- 200g (7oz) strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 50g unsalted butter, diced and chilled
- 1 sachet fast-action dried yeast
- 4 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 100ml milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- sunflower or vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 12 tbsp black cherry jam
- In a large bowl, sift the flour with a pinch of salt, then rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir through the yeast and 1 tbsp sugar.
- Heat the milk until just under a simmer, then gradually pour into the flour mixture. Add the egg and mix to a soft dough. Knead the dough for 5 minutes or until smooth, then leave to rise for an hour in a greased bowl covered with a tea towel or clingfilm.
- When the dough has doubled in size, divide into 12 pieces and shape into smooth balls. Transfer to a baking tray sprinkled with a little flour and cover loosely with clingfilm. Leave to double in size. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan to 190°C or until a piece of bread dropped into it browns in 30 seconds. Make sure the oil does not reach higher than halfway up the pan.
- Depending on the size of the pan, gently lower the two or three proved dough balls into the oil and fry on each side for 30 seconds or until a dark-golden colour. Remove and drain on a baking tray lined with kitchen paper.
- When all the doughnuts are cooked and cooled slightly, make a small but deep hole in the side of each one and, using a piping bag, pipe about 1 tbsp jam into each one. Roll in the remaining sugar and allow to cool before serving.