Gently spiced and delicately sweet, these pumpkin muffins are a welcome treat on autumn mornings.
- 1 whole (3-lb.) sugar pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups self-rising flour1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- Bake sugar pumpkin on a large rimmed baking sheet at 400°F until fork-tender, 45 to 60 minutes. Cool 15 minutes. Cut pumpkin open; scoop flesh from skin. Discard skin and seeds. Mash with a fork; transfer 1 1/2 cups to a large bowl (reserve remaining pumpkin for another use).
- Whisk in eggs, sugar, butter, milk, and vanilla extract. Stir in self-rising flour and pumpkin pie spice until just combined. Divide among 2 (12-cup) muffin trays lined with 22 paper liners.
- Make Topping: Stir together sugar and pumpkin pie spice; sprinkle over top.
- Bake at 350°F until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 22 minutes. Cool in tray 5 minutes.