This Yummy Butter Cake makes the most buttery and tender butter cake possible.
- 180 g salted butter softened and cut into small pieces
- 30 g caster sugar
- 45 g egg yolks
- ¾ tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g self-raising flour sifted
- 45 ml full-fat fresh milk
- 105 g egg whites
- 70 g caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line bottom and sides of 15 x 15 x 5 cm cake pan with parchment paper.
- Cream butter and 30 g sugar till pale and fluffy, scraping sides and bottom of mixing bowl as necessary. Add egg yolks 1 at a time, plus vanilla extract with the last yolk. Beat thoroughly after each addition till whisk leaves distinct trail. Scrape down thoroughly.
180 g salted butter, 30 g caster sugar, 45 g egg yolks, ¾ tsp vanilla extract
- Re-sift 1/4 of sifted flour into butter mixture. Fold with spatula till just even. Re-sift another 1/4 into mixture. Again, fold till just even, scraping down as necessary to ensure even mixing. Add milk in 2 batches, folding till just fully absorbed after each addition. Re-sift and fold remaining half of flour into mixture in 2 batches as before.
150 g self-raising flour, 45 ml full-fat fresh milk
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk egg whites till thick. Continue whisking whilst gradually adding 70 g sugar, till egg whites form stiff peaks.
105 g egg whites, 70 g caster sugar
- Fold egg whites into flour mixture in 3 batches, scraping down as necessary to ensure even mixing.
- Bang mixing bowl against worktop 2-3 times to remove big air bubbles.
- Scrape batter into cake pan. Spread evenly and smooth top. Bang cake pan against worktop 2-3 times to remove gaps between batter and pan.
- Bake cake in bottom of oven till batter doesn’t jiggle when shaken, about 35 minutes. Increase temperature to 180°C.
- Continue baking till inserted skewer comes out clean and cake is evenly golden brown, another 10 minutes or so.
- Remove cake from oven. Leave on wire rack to cool down. Cake may be unmoulded once dome has subsided and top has flattened.
- Butter cake is best served warm. Leftovers may be refrigerated, tightly wrapped. Reheat in oven, wrapped in foil, till warmed through.